Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Why Can't Marketing Execs See Through The Smoke?

This quote sums up the problem: "We're building a global community around our consumers love [for the] World Cup and their favorite teams," said a Coke marketing exec.

I'm so sick of this kind of pompous self-important brand positioning. Statements that include the words "building a global community" in them should be banned. So, Coke is building a GLOBAL COMMUNITY for soccer fans? Well isn't that special. Let's be honest for a second. Coke is (at best) creating websites, shooting videos, and blasting out Twitter and Facebook messaging to make it appear that they "get it" when it comes to soccer. They aren't building anything except the bank accounts of their vendors (p.s. call me).

Seriously, this is the problem with marketing these days. Wouldn't it have been great if the Coke exec had said: "We're using our marketing muscle to remind consumers to buy as much Coke as they possible can this summer. Soccer is OK, I guess. I mean, Coke is not anti-soccer, it's just kind of an international thing and I live in Atlanta and spend most of my time in my cubicle."

The point: Hey Coke, get back to being the "real thing." Don't try and sound smart. It doesn't suit you. After all, you sell water with sugar in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment